Read Antony and Cleopatra, preferably the Spark Notes “No Fear Translation”, which is a modern English translation and the original Early Modern version side-by-side: https://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/shakespeare/antony-and-cleopatra/page_2/
It’s about 25,000 words, which typically takes about an hour and a half to two hours to read out loud.
Try reading it out loud. Remember this was written to be performed, not read. Do at least occasionally read the original Early Modern English next to the Modern English version.
This is an informal writing. Do not concern yourself with format and structure. This is an online forum, a classroom discussion, not an essay. Remember your audience. Don’t tell us with what we all already know (e.g., “Shakespeare is a famous English playwright….”).
Write at least 300 words which should include the following:
1. Your opinion about the play in general and in particular. What did you like or dislike about it? You don’t have to have liked it. Just try to give clear reasons for your opinions (this is critical thinking).
2. A comment on what you found the most noteworthy line(s) or part in the play. Cite act, scene, and lines like this: (1.2.15-16.) This means Act 1, Scene 2, lines 15-16.
3. A relevant researched idea or fact about something you find interesting. You are encouraged to read other sources about Shakespeare and/or this play as long as you cite them in-text.
Possible things to research of interest:
· Themes, motifs in play
· Character analysis
· The sources Shakespeare relied on for this play
· Historical context of the story and/or the play itself
· The historical persons in the play
· Various productions and adaptations of the play
· Cultural references to play
· History of perception of Cleopatra
· Critical theory
Or anything else you can think of, as long as it has to do with this play.