Case Study: Mr. M.
An RN-BSN-prepared nurse must demonstrate an enhanced understanding of the
pathophysiological processes of disease, the clinical manifestations and treatment protocols, and
how they affect clients across the life span.
Evaluate the Health History and Medical Information for Mr. M., presented below.
Based on this information, formulate a conclusion based on your evaluation, and complete the
Critical Thinking Essay assignment, as instructed below.
Health History and Medical Information
Mr. M., a 70-year-old male, has been living at the assisted living facility where you work. He has no know allergies. He is a nonsmoker and does not use alcohol. Limited physical activity related to difficulty ambulating and unsteady gait. Medical history includes hypertension controlled with ACE inhibitors, hypercholesterolemia, status post appendectomy, and tibial fracture status postsurgical repair with no obvious complications. Current medications include Lisinopril 20mg daily, Lipitor 40mg daily, Ambien 10mg PRN, Xanax 0.5 mg PRN, and ibuprofen 400mg PRN.
Over the past two months, Mr. M. seems to be deteriorating quickly. He is having trouble recalling the names of his family members, remembering his room number, and even repeating what he has just read. He is becoming agitated and aggressive quickly. He appears to be afraid and fearful when he gets aggressive. He has been found wandering at night and frequently becomes lost, needing help to get back to his room. Mr. M has become dependent on many ADLs, whereas a few months ago, he was fully able to dress, bathe, and feed himself. The assisted living facility is concerned with his rapid decline and has decided to order testing.
1. Temperature: 37.1 degrees C
2. BP 123/78 HR 93 RR 22 Pox 99%
3. Denies pain
4. Height: 69.5 inches; Weight 87 kg
1. WBC: 19.2 (1,000/uL)
2. Lymphocytes 6700 (cells/uL)
3. CT Head shows no changes since the previous scan
4. Urinalysis positive for a moderate amount of leukocytes and cloudy
5. Protein: 7.1 g/dL; AST: 32 U/L; ALT 29 U/L
Critical Thinking Essay
In 750-1,000 words, critically evaluate Mr. M.’s situation. Include the following:
1. Describe the clinical manifestations present in Mr. M.
1. Based on the information presented in the case scenario, discuss what primary and secondary medical diagnoses should be considered for Mr. M. Explain why these should be considered and what data is provided for support.
2. When performing your nursing assessment, discuss what abnormalities you would expect to find and why.
3. Describe the physical, psychological, and emotional effects Mr. M.’s current health status may have on him. Discuss the impact it can have on his family.
4. Discuss what interventions can be put into place to support Mr. M. and his family.
5. Given Mr. M.’s current condition, discuss at least four actual or potential problems he faces. Provide a rationale for each.
You must cite a minimum of two sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last five years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the
Student Success Center. Please add an introduction paragraph to the beginning of the assignment.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric before beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Research articles form:
Or CDC websites resources only. Don’t use nursing blogs.
Please see the attached rubric and question to answer paper