Writer’s Choice. Today’s healthcare environment comprises teams of professionals working toward common goals. When the organization sets a goal, there is generally a project that launches to support the goal to its completion. Health information management (HIM) professionals are participants and leaders in projects involving the implementation of new technologies and in additional projects that involve training and maintenance after the technologies are in place. A project such as the adoption of an electronic health record (EHR) across a healthcare system takes significant planning, strong leadership, and the ability to manage change in the environment.
HIM professionals’ competence in managing project teams, analyzing organizational processes, identifying the need for change, and implementing new initiatives are necessary skill sets in today’s healthcare delivery environment. They are critical components of the work performed by the HIM professional.
To complete this task, you will read and respond to the attached “Electronic Record Adoption Project” scenario.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. An originality report is provided when you submit your task that can be used as a guide.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
A. Perform a needs assessment for the healthcare organization in the scenario by doing the following:
1. Describe one area needing assessment in the organization’s health information management (HIM) workflow.
2. Explain one concern, related to adopting an EHR, that staff from the area needing assessment in part A1 may have.
3. Explain the functional needs that staff members in the HIM department may have.
4. Describe how the use of an EHR can affect privacy, security, and legal aspects in ways that differ from the use of a paper medical record.
B. Based on the needs assessment results in part A, propose a project plan for adopting an EHR for the healthcare organization in the scenario by doing the following:
1. Describe all of the elements that should be included in a project plan for adopting an EHR.
2. Explain how to form a project team.
3. Describe one benefit the healthcare organization could gain from adopting an EHR.
C. Examine elements of the vendor selection process by doing the following:
1. Justify how a cost-benefit analysis will help to focus the vendor selection process.
2. Discuss the difference between a request for information and request for proposal.
a. Explain why one might be preferred.
b. Explain why both may be used.
3. Explain the elements included in writing a request for proposal and the information included in each element.
4. Discuss how you would establish a good working relationship with vendors and company representatives involved in the selection process for new technology.
D. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.